Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Making of the Cereal Box

I just wanted to expand upon a short description I've given on my website regarding the cereal box project. I didn't want to bog down the print page of my portfolio with all of this, so I'm just putting it here and linking it.

In the Fall of 2005, during my third semester at IUPUI, I took a class on the Principles of Creative Design. Though everyone in the class had really only experienced the basics of design, and only knew a handful of techniques and software applications comfortably, that class ended up being one of the most enlightening and fun classes I have taken to date. Both the curriculum and the professor pushed us and helped us to do some great projects. One of our last assignments in the class was to design a cereal box with a specific audience in mind. We needed to create a cereal box that would be appealing enough to kids so that, if they were walking down the cereal isle in the grocery store, they would pick our cereal box over all of the others. The other factor was the need to make it appeal to adults in the way that it also needed to be marketed as nutritious.


The way we went about catching the children's attention and the way that we tried to entice the adults was completely up to us. The only real requirements were that the box needed to be standard size and, when assembled, needed to be able to be structurally sound enough to hold a 15 oz. bag of cereal in it. I chose to design my cereal box around the cartoon of Tom & Jerry. I figured that Tom & Jerry would still capture the kid's attention as well as still be familiar to the adults who remember the show, or some form of it, from when they were younger. I also tried to make the cereal appear nutritious by marketing it as sugar free, and it also contained higher-than-usual daily values as far as vitamins and minerals go on the nutrition facts panel.


With my primary target audience in mind, the children, I set out to design a box that was colorful and familar. I felt the cereal itself needed to be shown on the box and it needed to be unique to that specific cereal. So I went out and bought a box of Fruit Loops and picked out all the red and blue pieces. I put those in a bowl and did my best to make it look appealing. Although the actual photo itself could have been better, it made all the difference in the final design and really sold the cereal. On the front, I made sure the text was very cartoony and I made sure that Tom and Jerry were very present in the design. I took a picture found on the internet and redrew it as a vector image. At the time, I was not very familiar with vector drawings, but I think it turned out fantastic given my inexperience. On top of all this, I made sure it was shown to be "Sugar Free!" to draw in the adults.


The back of any cereal box is comparable to the Playland at McDonalds. What you're eating may be great, but you need something fun and memorable to do while eating it. I decided to make a simple coloring panel on the back. I again redrew a much smaller raster image into a vector, expanded it, and took out all the color. Also on the back I made sure the text was big and loud and stood out. At the bottom, there were some typical jokes and another vector of Jerry.


Finishing up, I started from scratch and laid out the nutrition facts precisely, all the while altering the numbers to make it appealing to adults. The other side panel was just some ads I had seen on the cartoon network site. I finished up the box by adding all the usual cereal box brandings, labels, and markings to add authenticity.


I got the large cereal box layout printed at PIP Printing on their plotter since it was too big for their usual printers that could print on heavier stock. I carefully cut out the layout, glued it with spray adhesive to a poster board, carefully cut that all out after drying, and was ready to fold and assemble. The box fit together perfectly, thanks to planning, and turned out great. Like I said, it was one of the more enjoyable projects I've ever done and everyone commented that it truly did look like any box you would see in the grocery.

1 comment:

Lloyd said...

Referenced at: http://breakfastbowl.blogspot.com/2007/08/cereal-and-bloggers.html